Trouble in cutting acrylic!

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Deshawn_Bell

Trouble in cutting acrylic!

Post by Deshawn_Bell »

Hi all,I have a 10 months old 60w redsail m500 that i had the same problem since i bought it new . I only cut 2mm acrylic and most of the time cardstock, foam so i didnt bother much. Nowdays im been cutting 4-5mm acrylic and it will take 5-6 passes at 100% power , 10mms speed. I have been adjusting/realign the mirror countless time. im pretty sure i get it pretty close to the center of the mirrors and the cut are straight. but the cutting power remains the same.
Edwardor

Re: Trouble in cutting acrylic!

Post by Edwardor »

Have you done the slope test for proper focus. I cut 6 mm acrylic at 4 mps with my 60 watt at 85% power using air assist.
Gpark

Post by Gpark »

Hi
You put a piece of acrylic on your bed with one end higher than the other the lower end should be below your normal focal point and the high end above. Draw a line and laser a cut on that line and see where it is the deepest and best cut. That will be your focal point make sure your laser head will clear the high end though.
RedisBivy

Post by RedisBivy »

I cut 5mm acrylic with 50w(not a real only 820mm long) with 2 pass at 90% power.
Take a look at your mirrors and lens(it may be dirty) it happens to me sometimes...
Manuelbus

Post by Manuelbus »

I think the problem is after all the mirrors and lens are clean that the airassist is a must. I cut with a old 40W tube ( over 1.700 hours on it) 6mm acryl with one pass at 85% power and 4 to 5mm speed, but only with air assist not the cone version, a version like epilog from the side . without air assist it would take more then 5 runs and the cut would look ugly not usefull.