QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

Jed Jitsu

QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

Post by Jed Jitsu »

Good day all

I'm cutting cast acrylic and noticing that without placing a substrate under the material, the laser cuts through the material, bounces off of the metal screen and creates a small cut in the underside of my parts. This is unacceptable, so we have been experimenting with placing a substrate underneath of the material when cutting.
We have tried using particle board (masonite), but that produces a burned shadow on the bottom. We have also tried using pieces of acrylic plastic, but the material proceeds to melt to the bottom, creating an issue for removing parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a material that won't burn, yet will allow the parts to not melt or stick to it when cutting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Tosho82

Re: QUESTION CUTTING CAST ACRYLICS

Post by Tosho82 »

Hello,
I'm not professional but am working on laser cutters. It would be good if you show some pictures what is happening and say what kind of laser you are using.
I am working with abs plastic and acrylic and right now looking here on forum for help with cutting metal.
Just tried on new machine to cut acrylic and abs plastic and it went without any problems.

regards
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

Jed Jitsu wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:41 pm Good day all

I'm cutting cast acrylic and noticing that without placing a substrate under the material, the laser cuts through the material, bounces off of the metal screen and creates a small cut in the underside of my parts. This is unacceptable, so we have been experimenting with placing a substrate underneath of the material when cutting.
We have tried using particle board (masonite), but that produces a burned shadow on the bottom. We have also tried using pieces of acrylic plastic, but the material proceeds to melt to the bottom, creating an issue for removing parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a material that won't burn, yet will allow the parts to not melt or stick to it when cutting?

Thank you in advance.
It sounds like you're facing some challenges with your laser cutting process. Have you considered trying a honeycomb bed or a similar laser bed with a grid-like structure? This type of bed allows air to flow underneath the material, preventing back reflections and reducing the chance of the laser cutting through and damaging the underside of your parts. Additionally, the grid structure provides support for your material without causing burning or melting issues like you've experienced with particle board or acrylic substrates. Honeycomb beds are commonly used in laser cutting machines and could be a helpful solution for your situation.

Also, if you're looking for a reliable laser cutter that's easy to use and provides high-quality results, you might want to consider the Monport laser. It's known for its affordability and user-friendly design, making it a great option for both beginners and experienced users alike. You can find more information about the Monport laser product at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm.
sean1990

Post by sean1990 »

Jed Jitsu wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:41 pm Good day all

Thank you in advance.
It sounds like you're facing challenges with cutting cast acrylic. To address these issues, you might want to consider using a honeycomb cutting table specifically designed for laser cutting. These tables provide support for the material without causing burning or melting. Additionally, they allow for efficient removal of cut pieces without sticking. Monport laser machines offer compatible honeycomb cutting tables as accessories, providing a solution to your problem. You can find more information about Monport lasers and their accessories at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3. Good luck with your cutting process!