Choosing a beginner friendly engraver/cutter

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

mitseas

Choosing a beginner friendly engraver/cutter

Post by mitseas »

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is a duplicate topic, I just joined this forum and could not find any information on what I'm looking for.

I am a beginner when it comes to Laser Cutting and Engraving. I have some experience using laser cutters in Maker Spaces and my University but absolutely zero knowledge understanding specification and capabilities on different machines.

I am looking to buy a relatively cheap model for personal use. The intended purpose (for now) is cutting 3mm wood, possibly MDF or ply, and engraving simple vector graphics. I am planning to make insets for board game storage and other tabletop gaming aids.

Based on what I could find the last few days (please correct me if any of these assumptions is wrong), a 10W model (which seem to be in my price range) would need about 2-4 passes to cut 3mm wood, and in case I would like to cut said material in one pass I would need a 20w output. My current estimate on the price of the machine is about 250-350 euro (not including shipping & VAT).

Will I be able to find a good model for indented purpose or should I consider a more expensive option? Any suggestion are extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Lagerstroemia

Re: Choosing a beginner friendly engraver/cutter

Post by Lagerstroemia »

Hi mitseas

I am Grace,from China,working in a laser company.Well, in my experience,the MDF need the CO2 laser,that will much more than your budget.
If you really want a small and cheap laser for personal use,I suggest fiber laser with low power.
What is more,I haven't try fibler laser for MDF,if you try it,could you send me the result?I am really courious about that.Thank you!
leon0408

Re: Choosing a beginner friendly engraver/cutter

Post by leon0408 »

Recommend a laser technology community where more people may be willing to explore
http://www.chanelink.com