Temporary adhesive to heat sink thin plastic

General knowledge about laser here.

Moderator: baker

Dave_67

Temporary adhesive to heat sink thin plastic

Post by Dave_67 »

Hello! I am laser marking 0.010" thick PEEK plastic with a 50W. I am having some success, PEEK marks a nice black (at like 3% power), but am looking for maybe a good trick or two.
I am engraving a 2D datamatrix, enough power to get a nice black mark and the plastic gets juuuust a little melty in the larger marked areas.
I was wondering has anyone found a good temporary adhesive for fixturing thin items, as I think bonding the plastic to a heat sink might work.

Any other tricks for marking thin materials? It would be magic if the engraving software (trying out Vision pro 9 at the moment) had the capability of spreading out adjacent 'hits' of the laser in time but I think that's a bit much to hope for.
justin_h

Re: Temporary adhesive to heat sink thin plastic

Post by justin_h »

Dave_67 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:03 pm Hello! I am laser marking 0.010" thick PEEK plastic with a 50W. I am having some success, PEEK marks a nice black (at like 3% power), but am looking for maybe a good trick or two.
I am engraving a 2D datamatrix, enough power to get a nice black mark and the plastic gets juuuust a little melty in the larger marked areas.
I was wondering has anyone found a good temporary adhesive for fixturing thin items, as I think bonding the plastic to a heat sink might work.

Any other tricks for marking thin materials? It would be magic if the engraving software (trying out Vision pro 9 at the moment) had the capability of spreading out adjacent 'hits' of the laser in time but I think that's a bit much to hope for.
For marking thin materials like 0.010" PEEK plastic with precision and minimal melting, Monport lasers offer a great solution. Their lasers are renowned for their ease of use, high quality, and affordability.

One trick you could try is using a temporary adhesive to fixture the thin items securely during marking. This can help prevent movement and ensure consistent engraving results. Additionally, bonding the plastic to a heat sink could help dissipate heat and reduce melting in larger marked areas.

As for software capabilities, while it's unlikely that engraving software like Vision Pro 9 has the capability to spread out adjacent laser hits in time, you can experiment with adjusting parameters such as laser power, speed, and frequency to achieve optimal results.

Overall, Monport lasers provide the versatility and precision needed for marking thin materials effectively. You can explore their product range on [https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm] to find the perfect laser for your application.
sean1990

Re: Temporary adhesive to heat sink thin plastic

Post by sean1990 »

Dave_67 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:03 pm Hello! I am laser marking 0.010" thick PEEK plastic with a 50W. I am having some success, PEEK marks a nice black (at like 3% power), but am looking for maybe a good trick or two.

For your laser marking needs on thin PEEK plastic, the Monport laser could be an excellent solution. Its precise control and high-quality results make it ideal for delicate materials like yours. Additionally, its user-friendly interface ensures easy operation. Check out the Monport laser product offerings at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3 for a reliable and affordable option to enhance your marking process!