Colour filling Acrylic engraving?

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

amtteroni

Colour filling Acrylic engraving?

Post by amtteroni »

Hey all, I'm interested to find out what people here use for colour-filling engravings in Acrylic. I'm trying to think of something that I could use a spudger and stencil/the protective coating on the acrylic, and would fill a fairly deep engraving, and dry as solid as the acrylic itself.

First thing that comes to mind is clear epoxy, is it possible to just mix in normal paint with epoxy? Or anything else you've tried that works well?
Michealpync

Re: Colour filling Acrylic engraving?

Post by Michealpync »

amtteroni wrote:Hey all, I'm interested to find out what people here use for colour-filling engravings in Acrylic. I'm trying to think of something that I could use a spudger and stencil/the protective coating on the acrylic, and would fill a fairly deep engraving, and dry as solid as the acrylic itself.

First thing that comes to mind is clear epoxy, is it possible to just mix in normal paint with epoxy? Or anything else you've tried that works well?
I have seen spray paint, wax crayon and acrylic paint.

Stewarts Trophies did a fine tutorial on here somewhere about using various coloured spraypaint and rastering different layers betwwn coats to give an almost coloured 3d effect. I saw some of his work IRL and it was pretty bloody good.

I just use jo sonjias acrylic paint and rub it into the engraved lines and lettering with my thumb and a damp cloth to wipe off the excess.

Epoxies (like Glass Coat at Bunnings) can take acrylic paints and inks. Takes 24 hours to dry though.
LandorKippi

Post by LandorKippi »

amtteroni wrote:Hey all, I'm interested to find out what people here use for colour-filling engravings in Acrylic. I'm trying to think of something that I could use a spudger and stencil/the protective coating on the acrylic, and would fill a fairly deep engraving, and dry as solid as the acrylic itself.

I have seen spray paint, wax crayon and acrylic paint.

Stewarts Trophies did a fine tutorial on here somewhere about using various coloured spraypaint and rastering different layers betwwn coats to give an almost coloured 3d effect. I saw some of his work IRL and it was pretty bloody good.
LandorKippi

Post by LandorKippi »

I just use jo sonjias acrylic paint and rub it into the engraved lines and lettering with my thumb and a damp cloth to wipe off the excess.

Epoxies (like Glass Coat at Bunnings) can take acrylic paints and inks. Takes 24 hours to dry though.
MatthewOl

Post by MatthewOl »

e do 100's of paint filled lasered acrylic pieces a day. The biggest problem is that acrylic becomes stressed when lasered , worse with extruded vs cast acrylic.
So ideally you want to use cast (you can burn a small piece to see which it is , extruded burns silently and drops molten flaming balls , cast burns with a crackly flame and doesn't drip)
Use an undiluted car/automotive type duco paint , flood the engraving and use a straight edged piece of card to scrape off the excess. Let it dry so the paint is no longer liquid or tacky.
Wrap a piece of flat wood or whatever in a lint free type rag (old t-shirt material works best) and moisten the flat section with methyl alcohol (methylated or denatured spirits) , do not have it soaking wet. Use this flat moistened surface to wipe off dried excess on the acrylic surrface. DO NOT use thinners or xylene etc..This will just dissolve and even scoop up paint in the engraving. The Meths works well and still leaves the paint in the engraved area with a nice glossy surface finish.
If you get stress cracking in the acrylic (will be more evident and problematic with clear than any colour) , then change your paint to water based acrylic paint and use the same method , but using water and not meths , to clean excess when its dry. The acrylic based paints will not be as durable as the automotive type paints. This may or may not be a problem.

Solvent based spray paints will generally give you problems with stress cracking.
LekoBrankovichpi

Post by LekoBrankovichpi »

look this:

Laser gravure inks

We have seen your website and we would like to share with you our proposal

Since 2001, our firm specializes in manufacturing additives to achieve recordings on Metals, Ceramics, Glass and Plastics
Using the CO2 Laser and also YAG-Nd. technology

The 34 HEVES´ products generate more opportunities for new business, increase your profits and the value of your laser machine

1-Could be diluted with ordinary water, they are NOT flammable, NOT use alcohol, preventing breathing toxic clouds to paint

2 Engraving on pure or anodized metals, ceramics, glasses and plastics,

3-Microengravings profound and security, on Steels, Ceramics and Glass

4- In 2004 we were the first to make and sell, additives for CO2 Laser Print on Plastics and painted objects (eg .: wood),presented in 9 basic Colors and 3 Metallics ones, all combined together to make hundreds of new custom colors.

(to work need only a few watts)

5-They are Concentrated Products and with High Performance:

With only 50 grams and using a brush you could cover at least 8,000 square Cm
And using airbrush or spray they could be diluted half and half with water, covering more than 12,000 Cm square per bottle of 50 grams. This means that 250 grams (5 bottles) of product HEVES could produce 60,000 square Cm using Airbrush or Spray.

Please find attached a list of best sellers products and some photos

We would like to invite you to visit our website for more information about HEVES´ products: