Help Choosing a Laser Cutter!

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

Trevisan

Help Choosing a Laser Cutter!

Post by Trevisan »

Hello! I am a 3-D artist needing opinions and advice from all of you terribly smart people! I am completely new to the world of laser engraving and cutting. I am going to be buying Adobe Illustrator soon and prefer to design on Mac based computers. Nothing against PCs- I just got tired of dealing with viruses. sad smiley What I want to do is create vector images and cut my designs out of wood. (specifically reclaimed wood like pallet wood or apple crate type materials). I am not as much interested in engraving- I want to be able to CUT solid wood (soft or hard) or glued up panels of wood. I would also like the ability to cut harder material like metal but need to start somewhere. From what I can tell, Epilog is the only company offering a Mac-based driver and it looks as though it is only offered on their fusion line. Big bucks needed for those. I am just wanting to see what others think? I don't need a terribly big cutting platform (I could start with a 12" by 12" for the type of product I make). I am making it by hand now and it is literally killing my fingers due to my backlog of orders. I need a user friendly program/laser to accomplish what I want to accomplish. I am a fairly quick study and willing to take the time it takes to learn a new system if it will save my fingers from certain death. Help! How should I start? What kind of laser or set up should I go with? Thanks for your advice in advance! smiling smiley
Medved

Re: Help Choosing a Laser Cutter!

Post by Medved »

Okay... giving you my best "deer in headlights" look right now! I am no engineer. The g-code thing is totally over my head! LOL I just want to use a design program I am comfortable with that is user friendly (which is why I like AI) and hit print (or cut) and the laser turns on and cuts exactly what I make out of whatever I put on the platform. I know zero about this world as I use my hands to make everything I do right now. I am swamped with work and need to figure this out or I am not going to be able to fulfill orders. I will spend the money (reluctantly) if it means an easier system to execute what I need it to do. I just need to know what to buy and the best set up to have in my studio! You all are phenomenally smart and I just need a little friendly directional help! smiling smiley I also don't want to burn my house down. :x