Laser won't turn off

Discuss laser machine here freely.

Moderator: baker

wanabegeek

Laser won't turn off

Post by wanabegeek »

I bought a cheap laser a few years ago and have had some success with it. The original board was running grbl 0.8c. I could do basic stuff, but had no control over laser power and most burns were deep and without finesse.

I tried to flash that board to grbl 1.1 but had an issue with the laser being always on. I tried $32 on and off. Matched $30 and $31 in Lightburn, no change. Also tried everything in Lasergrbl too.

Eventually went back to 0.8c and got some stuff done. But wanted better control and results. Bought a new board. Preloaded with 1.1h. It has a PWM socket and a jumper to switch the board from spindle mode to laser mode. Also has just a power socket for the laser.

I have tried the laser (2 pin 5w blue laser diode) in the PWM socket with both laser and spindle settings. The laser doesn't come on at all. M5 does nothing, S25 does nothing.

I have plugged the laser into the power socket and it won't go off. I've tried the jumper in both positions. I've changed laser mode $32 on and off. M5 and S0 do nothing.

So what should I do next? Is this a firmware issue, problem with the laser? Can 2 pin lasers use PWM? I'm still pretty new at this, would it be beneficial to recompile grbl and re-flash the board? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tribo

Re: Laser won't turn off

Post by Tribo »

2-pin laser does not have PWM. If your board has a Motor input you must connect it to this. If you connect it to the 12v input, it will always be on and without control. What inputs does your board have? Have a picture?
acctek12

Re: Laser won't turn off

Post by acctek12 »

The analog quantity is mostly used for continuous light output. PWM control is more used in single-pulse light output.
https://www.acctekgroup.com/laser-machine/
Manufacturer of CNC Router China-CNC Machines|cnc router for woodworking|laser cutting machines|cnc router|laser cutter_acctek. https://www.acctekgroup.com/index.html