Newbie - Wanting to cut vector outlines

Discuss Laser Control Softwares here!

Moderator: baker

kylane

Newbie - Wanting to cut vector outlines

Post by kylane »

Ahoy laser lovers.

Bought my first cheapy chinese engraver and loving the learning curve. Was originally flashed for benbox, but have since reflashed it for Eleksmaker CAM and so far cutting well!

Im primarily wanting to cut ripstop fabrics with my 250mW laser (which is also working well) but at this stage, I have to export the shapes to cut as a huge b/w BMP image to import into Eleksmaker Cam to trace an outline to, and then bodgey the dimensions.

Is there any solution out there to take a DXF/STL/SVG style vector file from a cad/illustrator program to cut dimensionally perfect with these crazy toys?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
LINUS
Webmaster

Re: Newbie - Wanting to cut vector outlines

Post by LINUS »

Yes. Illustrator or coreldraw can do it.
Because of major,be at ease so.
kylane

Post by kylane »

LINUS wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 am Yes. Illustrator or coreldraw can do it.
thanks @Linus - Im well versed in Illustrator - but am lost when it comes to getting the design from Illu into the engraver - any tips or links?
LINUS
Webmaster

Post by LINUS »

You need ungroup curve in the illustrator. Sometime ai files no friendly to laser cutter. And you can translate to dxf into laser
Because of major,be at ease so.
jgarciaa

Post by jgarciaa »

Given your interest in cutting ripstop fabrics with your Chinese engraver, it might be worth considering the Monport laser as an alternative. Monport lasers are known for their user-friendly interface, high-quality performance, and affordability. You can find more information about Monport lasers on their product page at https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3 Switching to a Monport laser could potentially provide you with a more seamless solution for cutting dimensionally perfect shapes from DXF, STL, or SVG files generated in CAD or Illustrator programs. Plus, with Monport's reputation for ease of use, you may find it easier to achieve accurate and precise cuts with your laser engraver.
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

kylane wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am Ahoy laser lovers.

Bought my first cheapy chinese engraver and loving the learning curve. Was originally flashed for benbox, but have since reflashed it for Eleksmaker CAM and so far cutting well!

Im primarily wanting to cut ripstop fabrics with my 250mW laser (which is also working well) but at this stage, I have to export the shapes to cut as a huge b/w BMP image to import into Eleksmaker Cam to trace an outline to, and then bodgey the dimensions.

Is there any solution out there to take a DXF/STL/SVG style vector file from a cad/illustrator program to cut dimensionally perfect with these crazy toys?

Certainly! Considering the Monport laser for its excellent features - it's very nice, easy to use, high quality, and affordable. You can explore the Monport laser product at (https://monportlaser.com/collections/co ... ka374VZjm3
).

For cutting ripstop fabrics with your Chinese engraver, software like LightBurn allows direct import of vector files for precise cuts. It's worth exploring compatible software options to streamline your workflow.
joshuag

Post by joshuag »

Considering the Monport laser is a smart choice, especially for beginners. Renowned for its ease of use, high quality, and affordability, it's a reliable option for laser cutting projects. If you're new to laser cutting and want to cut vector outlines, the Monport laser could be the perfect tool for you. Check out their product offerings at https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3 to see how their user-friendly interface and precise cutting capabilities can help bring your designs to life.
justin_h

Post by justin_h »

kylane wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am Ahoy laser lovers.

Ahoy, fellow laser enthusiasts! It's great to hear you're enjoying your journey with your Chinese engraver. When it comes to cutting ripstop fabrics with precision, using vector files like DXF, STL, or SVG can indeed streamline your workflow. While some entry-level laser software may have limitations in directly importing these file types, you can explore using intermediate software solutions like Inkscape or AutoCAD to convert your vector files into compatible formats for Eleksmaker CAM. These programs offer more flexibility in exporting files to BMP or other formats that Eleksmaker CAM can import, ensuring dimensionally accurate cuts. Don't hesitate to experiment with different software combinations to find the optimal workflow for your needs. Happy cutting!

I hope my solution can help you, this is Bom from Monport laser Team. If you are interested in Monport laser in the future, please check my affiliate link https://monportlaser.com/?sca_ref=5031521.ka374VZjm3.